Amsterdam LEARN MORE
Amsterdam, the Netherlands LEARN MORE
Daxx is looking for a Site Reliability Engineer (Senior DevOps Engineer) to join Emesa team in Amsterdam.
“Emesa?”, don’t worry, there is a possibility you may have never heard of us. Emesa is based in Amsterdam and the driving force behind the high traffic and real-time auction platforms VakantieVeilingen and Vavabid. The deal platforms Actievandedag and Ticketscout complete our portfolio of e-commerce platforms. With APIs totaling hundreds of millions of calls/month, websites handling tenths of millions of page views, mobile applications installed on millions of devices and desire to expand, we need your help to improve, develop and achieve our ambitions.
Our achievements didn’t go unnoticed and now we are proud to be part of the Talpa Network. As a part of the biggest media group of the Netherlands, Emesa belongs to a select group of companies that reach the Dutch crowd with innovative and entertaining content every day.
We are planning to scale and take over Europe within the foreseeable future.
The IT & Development department
Our IT & Development department consistent of 50 engineers from all over the world. We work in small teams which we call cells. Each team contains 3-4 people and is led by a Cell Captain (Scrum Master). Every team is responsible for a specific component or multiple components within our IT landscape.
Each engineer in Emesa is responsible for deploying his or her own code. You will be working with experienced experts who help you develop your knowledge and grow as an engineer.
• University/bachelor level degree in Computer Science, Electronic Engineering or Mathematics. Equivalent experience can substitute this\
• You are strongly self-motivated, and believe that ’ownership’ and ’responsibility’ are not just the buzzwords;
• Deep knowledge of web fundamentals (HTTP, DNS, Web security);
• Working knowledge of the TCP/IP stack, internet routing and load balancing;
• Experience with Linux (with a good understanding of common operating systems concepts);
• Programming experience (debugging, profiling, testing) with one or more scripting languages (PHP, NodeJS, Python, incl. popular frameworks) and desire to explore others;
• Experience with systems design for high-traffic and high-availability (load balancing, caching, database design, deployment etc.)
• Experience with public cloud platforms (AWS)
• You love and apply ’Infrastructure as Code’ in your daily work (e.g. Puppet, Chef, Ansible, Terraform)
• Fluency in SQL (e.g. MySQL, PostgreSQL)
• You found your way with message brokers (RabbitMQ) & data streaming (Apache Kafka)
• Experience with tools/products/technologies like Apache Cordova, Flask, Keycloak, Rundeck, Apache Airflow, HAProxy, Apache, Solr, Symfony, Socket.IO, Robot Framework, Selenium, InfluxDB, Grafana, Sentry, Newrelic, Zabbix, Prometheus, Pingdom, Odoo
What you will be doing?
In short, as a Site Reliability Engineer at Emesa, you will
• Make sure that our applications are secure, stable, performing well and therefore fulfill our Service Level Objectives
• Automate and enhance our platform using the latest technologies, e.g. AWS, Ansible, Terraform, Apache Kafka, Jenkins, LXC/Docker;
• Keep the company up to date with modern tools and practices (focusing on security, monitoring and development process in the world of Continuous Delivery);
• Be the commander during incidents by pro-actively driving the resolution.
You are going to be doing this in an extremely changing environment where our landscape is going to scale up from ~20 services in 2018 to >50 services by the end of 2020.
How will you be doing this?
By joining us you will become a member of SRE team, that takes care of Emesa Platform with many applications, systems, and services. Other members of your team also have a background in software engineering or systems administration or both.
• On a daily basis, you are going to cooperate with various software development teams of Emesa by supporting people but also challenging them when it comes to security, monitoring and other important aspects of development operations.
• You will also be involved in modeling sessions and brainstorms with other stakeholders like product owners, architects, and others, by contributing with your knowledge and experience into decision support.