Daxx is looking for a Senior Software and Data Engineer to join AltoData team in Kyiv or remote
About the client:
AltoData is a small and growing software and services company. We are data-focused, blending mature design disciplines with leading-edge techniques and tooling. Our primary client is a global transport company, and; one of the largest players in the UK rail industry. We are a strategic partner for the delivery of mission-critical integration components for new rail fleets and newly acquired train operating companies.
About the project:
Mistral is a pure AWS data integration platform, the main business purpose of which is to provide staff and customers (passengers) with real-time service data. It currently includes:
- carriage loading (how busy each carriage is on a train)
- seat reservations (displayed above seats on new trains)
- live service progress data
- predictive delay impact analysis (using stock and crew allocations)
The list is growing. The platform is already the most sophisticated of its kind in the industry, and its value increases with each new capability.
Mistral’s core is an Amazon Aurora PostgreSQL-compatible cluster, ingesting and providing data through a pure-AWS service architecture. The full stack is:
- Amazon Aurora PostgreSQL 10.7 (v11 upgrade pending)
- AWS Lambda functions (using Python 3.8 exclusively)
- Amazon API Gateway
- Amazon Step Functions
- Amazon ECS containers (for MQ listener, FTP server, etc.)
- Amazon Systems Manager Parameter Store
The pipeline of additional capabilities, data sources, and consumers for Mistral is large and growing.
- Work with the existing team to gain an understanding of Mistral’s technical and data architecture.
- Contribute to our collaborative design process, taking on internal concept proofs where appropriate.
- Take on agreed specific platform functional enhancements, consulting as frequently as needed:
- Integrate new data sources
- Deliver new API resources for data access
- Share second line support responsibilities for the platform as a whole; specifics to be discussed and agreed.
- Have at least 5 years of experience with data-centric systems
- Be a “data first, everything else second” engineer. Specifically:
- SQL black belt
- Logical data modeling
- Solid understanding of how databases work, indexing strategies, etc.
- Understanding of data warehousing techniques
- Have experience with PostgreSQL
- Have experience with Amazon Web Services (e.g. Lambda, CloudFormation, SNS, SQS)
- Be competent in programming languages including Python
- Know how RESTful APIs work, and preferably have written/delivered some
- Have a robust, broad understanding of the full stack, i.e.:
- Networking principles (addressing, routing, security, etc.)
- RBAC security models
- Security (SSL, certificates, etc.)
- Unix shell
- Understand the concepts of, and have some experience dealing with:
- Cloud providers of one sort or another
Will be a plus:
- Knowledge of or interest in the rail industry
- Direct cooperation with the customer
- Dedicated HR/ Client Manager
- Regular performance reviews
- Competitive Salary, medical insurance, 20 working vacation days
- Regular corporate events, team buildings, etc.